Attractions

Bookmark and Share

Hereford has several fascinating historical sites to visit, such as the Deaf Smith County Museum, the Prisoner of War Camp, and the Victorian style E.B. Black House.

E. B. BLACK HOUSE

508 W. THIRD
E. B. BLACK
Historical Home

The Victorian Era house was built in 1909 and is entered in National Register of Historic Places.

Tours and reservations by appointment
806 - 363 - 7070

The spacious Victorian house was built in 1909 by Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Black. Mr. & Mrs. Black moved to Hereford in 1901 with their three older children and started the E. B. Black Furniture Company. The youngest son was born in Hereford. Over the years Mr. Black purchased farm land and raised cattle. Their home is a tribute to the gracious living of pioneer families in Hereford. Mrs. Black prepared and served many meals to her family and guests in the large dining area.

Mrs. Black died in 1941 and Mr. Black in 1945. The oldest son, Jim, and his wife Prudia lived in the house until Jim's death. In 1976 Mrs. Jim Black graciously offered to Deaf Smith County Historical Society the family home. The Society went at once to the County Commissioners Court for its judgment and advice. The Court agreed to accept the house, with its contents and grounds, with the provision that it be administered by the Society "for the use and benefit of the people of the community", as Mrs. Black specified in her gift deed.

Major restoration was performed along with developing a flower garden area in the back area around a newly built elegant old-fashioned gazebo. The house has been designated a Texas Historical Landmark by the Texas Historical Commission and is entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

The house is used by the community for club meetings, bridal and baby showers, special events and weddings. Rules and restrictions were set up by the Historical Society, and appointments for tours and reservations are made through the Deaf Smith County Museum. A garden committee made up of volunteers spends many hours spring through fall tending the gardens and planting new plants.

DEAF SMITH COUNTY MUSEUM

400 Sampson Street (site address)
P. O. Box 1007 (mailing address)
Hereford, TX 79045

Phone: 806-363-7070

The Deaf Smith County Museum began as an effort to preserve the rich history of this community. The museum's theme, "How our Pioneers Lived, Worked and Played," is evident throughout the unique displays.

Indian artifacts show evidence of the first residents of this area. Arrowheads, pottery, tools, and other items from a private collection are part of the museum displays.

The Country Store makes up another display area. It not only offered necessary provisions, but also became a social center. It was a place to visit neighbors, meet newcomers to the region, and get news from back home.

The Chapel is non-denominational. This exhibit is made up of relics that remain from the first churches that were built in the county. It reminds us of a deep abiding faith held by the early settlers.

The outdoor display area is enriched by a completely furnished replica of the first home in the county, a half-dugout. There were no forests to supply lumber for houses and no great outcropping of stone to furnish rock for building, so the pioneers "dug in." These dwellings proved more than adequate for life on the open prairie.

When visiting the Deaf Smith County Museum, don't forget to visit the lovely Sears Memorial Garden. Established in honor of Ruby Kendrick Sears, it is a quiet and beautiful retreat in the middle of downtown Hereford and is the perfect place to rest, reflect, and enjoy its charm.

Exhibits

A General Store is one of the exhibits on the first floor of the museum, displaying items from early business establishments in Hereford. One of the greatest hardships the early settlers experienced was learning to live on the lonely, vast and often neighbor less Plains. The general store not only offered necessary provisions for survival, but also became a social center. It was a place to visit with other settlers, meet newcomers that had moved into the region and get news of the world "back home" from travelers and cowboys that roamed this great prairie.

A non-denominational Chapel is filled with a collection of treasured objects that have survived from the first churches built in the county. It showcases many of the stained glass windows. It reminds us that a great, abiding faith in God's providence and power to provide came to the Plains with the families that settled here. It has become a favorite place for small weddings.

Collections from local citizens are displayed to show what an early day kitchen would be equipped with, basic items like a wood or coal burning cast iron cook stove, pie safe, home built tables and chairs and eventually an ice box or Hoosier's cabinet. A bedroom depicts early day furniture purchased from local furniture in the early 1900's that includes a washstand, dresser and bed with headboard and footboard. The parlor shows a later period as Hereford grew and prospered to where citizens could now have nice furniture, a pump organ and items for family entertainment.

PRISONER OF WAR CAMP CHAPEL

During World War II, Hereford became the site of a prisoner of war camp named the Hereford Internment Area. Covering a section of land, the camp was constructed in 1942 at a cost of two million dollars. The first American Military Police unit arrived in 1943. Italian captives arrived in April of that same year. By September of 1943, the camp contained 4,000 prisoners. The openness of the flat plains served as a deterrent to escape since escapees would be easily spotted. However, one escapee named Luigi Montalbetti traveled 300 miles toward Mexico before he was recaptured by the Texas Border Patrol. Details and photographs of the camp can be found in the Deaf Smith County Museum.

Today, a water tower and a chapel memorial are all that remain of the camp. In 1955, nine Italian men returned to present a memorial plaque dedicated to the Italian prisoners. The plaque reads " In glory and everlasting memory of future Italian patriots."


DEAF SMITH COUNTY LIBRARY

211 East 4th Street Hereford, TX 79045-5521
(806) 364-1206

In 1910, the library boasted of 400 books in the back room of a store on south Main Street. In 1930, the Commissioner's Court voted to allow the library to occupy a room in the court-house and approved a tax levy to support it. In 1974, the library moved to its current location at 211 East Fourth Street. It houses over 79,000 items that include books, videos, books on tape, magazines, and newspapers. The library offers audio-visual equipment checkout, preschool story times, Summer Reading Club, adult programming, and interlibrary loan. Hereford residents are allowed the ability to visit other area libraries and obtain other services due to the affiliation with Harrington Library Consortium.

Advanced technology and grant opportunities allow access to the Internet, an online card catalog, word processing capabilities, and various electronic databases. Student financial aid applications, genealogy searches, and access to the Texas State Electronic Library are just a few of the many services available. The philosophy of sharing resources and encouraging life-long learning is evident through partnerships with Hereford Independent School District, Region 16 Educational Service Center, Panhandle Regional Planning Commission, and Workforce Investment Act. These affiliations afford opportunity for continued education through the Graduate Equivalency Program. A computer- equipped G.E.D. lab is located in one of the meeting rooms.

A large meeting room is available to the city, county, businesses, civic groups, and small groups for meetings, special workshops, and classes. The library is open 55 hours per week, which includes Monday and Thursday late evenings and Saturday mornings.

The Spicer Griff Memorial Event Center

Since its beginning in 1994, the Spicer Gripp Memorial Roping has grown into one of the top stops in the United States for professional ropers around the country. The weekend events take place in the “Beef Capital of the World” and have enjoyed a surge of growth as the new Spicer Gripp Memorial Roping Events Center made its debut in 2001 at Veterans' Memorial Park.

Spicer Gripp was a Hereford resident who was loved and admired by many. Friends of Spicer got together to start the memorial roping. As the event grew, various volunteers solicited funds from sponsors to build the facility. The event center was needed to house the best ropers in the country. Many of the competitors are past and present world champions as well as National Finals Rodeo qualifiers. The new events center, estimated to have cost around $300,000, is being added to and upgraded each year. It is fan-friendly and accessible to roping fans from all over the country to see their favorite ropers up close and personal. In 2010, an estimated 6,800 spectators enjoyed a weekend filled with activities.

Spicer Gripp loved helping kids and the foundation is honored to be able to continue helping them in his name. Proceeds from the annual Spicer Gripp Memorial Roping, as well as gifts from family and friends of Spicer, have been used to fund the Spicer Gripp Memorial Scholarship at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, Texas. The scholarship is available for students pursuing an agricultural degree. For more information on scholarship opportunities, please contact Dr. Don Topliff, 806.651.2585, or Dr. Dean Hawkins, 806.651.2563, at the Department of Agricultural Sciences West Texas A&M University.

Spicer Gripp Memorial Youth Foundation (SGMYF)

Sponsorship Opportunities:

Raffle Tickets – $100

Each year the SGMYF committee sells raffle tickets for an All- terrain Vehicle

and a Livestock Trailer. The raffle is drawn in reverse order and the names of each

participant are announced during the weekend roping events.

The tickets sell for $100 each. Raffle tickets may be purchased from any

SGMYF Committee member or on the enclosed reply form.

Golf “Hole” Sponsorship – $100

This will be the 8 th year for the Spicer Gripp Memorial Golf Scramble. The 4-man golf scramble will take place on Friday, August 5, 2011. Awards are sponsored by Montana Silversmiths . The Beef Capital of the World (BCOW) golf scramble committee will be selling “ hole” sponsorships for $100 . Sponsorships may be purchased by contacting Mike Mauldin ( mmauldin@ffin.com ), Clint Savoini ( clintsavoini@sbcglobal.net ) or on the enclosed reply form.

Steer Roping Tickets – $125

The SGMYF will offer steer roping tickets at $125 each. The purchaser of the ticket will be drawn and matched with a steer tripper. The winner will receive a SG Montana Silversmith buckle and $500 cash. Steer Roping tickets may be purchased from SGMYF Committee members, Bob Schulte ( bbschulte@valornet.com ) or on the enclosed reply form.

Company Banners Purchase – $300 & $500

Banners with your company logo can be purchased from the SGMYF for use during the celebration. $500 covers the cost of production and first year sponsorship. A renewal of $300 continues the banner sponsorship each year. Banners may be purchased from Vicki Wilson (vicki@anotherattic.com ) or on the enclosed reply form.

BCOW Carcass Contestants – $500

Each year a pen of heifers are fed at Bar- G Feedyard for the SG Memorial Youth Foundation. The heifers are for sale at $500 each. In late July, the heifers are delivered to Cargill and judged for desirable carcass characteristics. The winner of the contest receives $5,000 and 2 nd – 5 th place heifer owners receive $500. The BCOW Carcass entries may be purchased by contacting Lance Storer ( Lance_Storer@cargill.com ) or on the enclosed reply form.

• Two general admission tickets to the Gripp Foundation Kick-Off Reception held on Thursday, August 4 th , 2011

• Recognition in the Gripp Foundation Kick-Off Reception & Dinner program

2011 BCOW Carcass contestant cap, with heifer number

Silver Sponsors – $1,000 - $4,999

Silver Sponsors contribute a minimum annual gift of $1,000 to the SGMYF.

Silver Sponsors may be purchased by contacting Max Moss ( mossgrain@sbcglobal.net ) or on the enclosed reply form.

In addition sponsors receive:

Two general admission tickets to the Gripp Foundation Kick-Off Reception held on Thursday, August 4 th , 2011

Recognition in the Gripp Foundation Kick-Off Reception & Dinner program as a Silver Sponsor

Company Banner with logo displayed at the arena for all events

Gold Sponsors – $5,000 - $14,999

Gold Sponsors contribute a minimum annual gift of $5,000 to the SGMYF. Gold Sponsors may be purchased by contacting

Max Moss ( mossgrain@sbcglobal.net ) or on the enclosed reply form.

In addition all participants receive:

Four general admission tickets to the “Gripp Foundation Kick-Off Reception” held on Thursday, August 4 th , 2011.

Four VIP admission passes for all weekend roping events

Recognition in the Reception program as a Gold Sponsor

Company Banner with logo displayed at the arena for all events.

Platinum – $15,000 +

Platinum sponsors contribute a minimum annual gift of $15,000 to the SGMYF. This gift entitles the Platinum Sponsors to have their company logo included on all publications that SGMYF produces each year including schedules and posters. Ongoing recognition of contributions are mentioned during each event.

Platinum Sponsors may be purchased by contacting Max Moss ( mossgrain@sbcglobal.net ), Ann Ames ( ames@bjmsales.com ) or on the enclosed reply form.

In addition all participants receive in contributing year:

Reserved seating for four at the “Gripp Foundation Kick-Off Reception” held on Thursday, August 4 th , 2011

VIP admission passes for all weekend roping events

Sponsor Award Presentation, introduction and recognition at the “Gripp Foundation Kick-Off Reception”

Two Company Banners with logo displayed at the arena for all events

Sponsor's name/logo will appear most prominently on all promotional material and announcing during the roping events

Guest of honor during the Beef Capital of the World & Spicer Gripp Roping Celebration

Event Sponsor:

Event Sponsors are companies or individuals who would like to sponsor one of the four roping events. The Event Sponsors receive the Platinum Sponsor package plus sponsorship recognition of the event. Event Sponsorship may be purchased by contacting Ann Ames ( ames@bjmsales.com ).

 



Each Best Western® hotel is independently owned and operated. © 2002-2013 Best Western International, Inc. All rights reserved.
The World's Largest Hotel Chain®

Guest data will be provided to Best Western International for use consistent with Best Western International's privacy policy .
BEST WESTERN Red Carpet Inn's privacy policy | MyERes.com's privacy policy

Designed by Myeres.com | Travel Directory | Home | Rooms | Amenities | Pet Friendly | Directions BEST WESTERN Red Carpet Inn Hereford Texas | Photo Gallery | Activities | Airport | Attractions | Dining | Golf Courses | City Government | Hospitals | Shopping | University Colleges | Contact BEST WESTERN Red Carpet Inn Hereford Texas TX Affordable Hotels Lodging Accommodations Motels |

Hereford Texas Sites: Hereford, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia | Deaf Smith County Chamber of Commerce | Hereford School District | Hereford Texas | Hereford Texas Government | Hereford Brand Newspaper | KPAN Radio Hereford Texas

Designed and Powered by Myeres.com - Hotel Websites and Online Reservations